Every December I become a bit of a sucker for all things Christmassy, and I thought I would share a bit of a language related distraction with you. If you’re anything like me, there’s always a reason for a ten minute* activity break.
Here is a list of Christmas-themed quizzes available on Sporcle. There are quite a few, so here are some languagey ones:
- Foreign language Christmas carols – name the songs with their origins in other languages (doesn’t include Feliz Navidad).
- Name the Christmas carols by German name – kind of like the above, but all German origins.
- English to Spanish Christmas words – for the Spanish language students out there. Do you know the Spanish word for ornament?
- Christmas in different languages – Christmas in 30 different languages. Do you know them all?
- Misheard Christmas Lyrics – Christmas eggcorns are surprisingly entertaining. “Dawn we now our day of peril” is basically the opposite of the real line.
- Reworded Christmas Carols – work out the carol name by its alternative description. I think this is my favourite quiz. Who could dislike something that included “senior citizen broadsided by a horned mammal“? Also, I only missed two.
*I won’t be held responsible if you decide to do more quizzes on this site!